The magic of Brittany 🌟
A golden land of legends and breathtaking landscapes, Brittany has many a hidden treasure. The listed Grand Site Cap d'Erquy - Cap Fréhel is one of the most jealously guarded of these! It’s as if nature had decided to create its most stunning masterpiece here, by sculpting a dramatic landscape and bringing it to life with a rich tapestry of plants and wildlife. And guess what? The Vélomaritime cycle route travels right through this small paradise, beckoning you on along waymarked paths towards magical places such as Cap d’Erquy, Cap Fréhel and Fort La Latte. From rocky outcrops to shimmering sandy beaches and turquoise waters, the captivating charm of this unique place is simply irresistible!
To top it off, in September 2019, the Grand Site Cap d’Erquy - Cap Fréhel became the nineteenth Grand Site de France, thanks to a combined effort to preserve and showcase its heritage treasures. Yet another reason to come and discover this magical Breton paradise.
Parcours à la carte
The must-sees of the Grand Site Cap d’Erquy-Cap Fréhel 🤩
- Cap Fréhel and its bird reserve. The cliffs are home to eight different species of bird that return here every year during the mating season. From February through to mid-July, over a thousand birds seek shelter here, creating a unique spectacle that simply begs to be seen.
- Cap d’Erquy, with its cliffs, pink sandstone rocks, wild heathland and former quarries.
- The medieval castle of Fort-La-Latte, perched on top of the cliffs and inviting you to dive into the past while taking in the stunning views over the Channel.
- The family-friendly seaside resort of Erquy, known as the scallop capital of Brittany.
- The lagoon at Sables-d'Or-les-Pins, a place of striking natural beauty whose landscape ebbs and flows in harmony with the tides.
- The seaside resort of Sables-d’Or-les-Pins and its two-kilometre beach.
- The dozen or so sandy beaches for lazing of an afternoon.
✅ Things to do as you pedal along the paths at the capes of Erquy and Fréhel
☐ Explore the GR34 footpath between Cap Fréhel and Fort-La-Latte
☐ Climb the 145 steps of Cap Fréhel's lighthouse, one of the ten lighthouses to visit along the Vélomaritime cycle route
☐ Watch the scallop fishing boats land their catch at Erquy
☐ Enjoy carving up the waves at the beaches between Cap Fréhel and Cap d'Erquy
☐ Get a flair for the local area with specialist guides who share their passion
☐ Walk in the footsteps of the quarry workers around the "blue lakes" at Erquy
ℹ️ Practical information
Locating the Grand Site de France Cap d'Erquy - Cap Fréhel on the map
The Grand Site de France Cap d'Erquy - Cap Fréhel is in the north of Brittany, between Saint-Brieuc and Saint-Malo.
Towns of the Grand Site Cap d’Erquy – Cap Fréhel
Erquy, Plurien, Fréhel and Plévenon are all part of the Grand Site.
Places to stay at the Grand Site de France Cap d'Erquy - Cap Fréhel
There are plenty of places to stay here. Campsites, hotels, B&Bs, gîtes or private rentals – the choice is yours.