For c.10km, between Calais and Escalles, going via Blériot-Plage and Sangatte, the route is not, at time of writing, laid out or signposted – these works are planned for end 2020. From Escalles, join the already-existing stretch of La Vélomaritime via shared tracks used by environmentally friendly modes of transport, but also by agricultural machinery.
The cycle route isn’t laid out as yet either side of the resort of Wissant; you have to cycle along the D940 main road. One kilometre south of Wissant, follow the signposting to join a completed portion of route, leading you to Ambleteuse.
Between Ambleteuse and Wimereux, be careful on the stretch you have to take along the D940 coast road, beside the protected Espace Naturel Sensible des Dunes de la Slack. Leaving Wimereux, the véloroute leads you along a cycle track running parallel to the D940 to reach Boulogne sur Mer.
Train stations nearby:
- Calais Ville (for the centre of town)
- Calais Fréthun (for the out-of-town Gare TGV, for high-speed trains)
- Boulogne sur Mer
- Cap Blanc Nez
- Cap Gris Nez
- Wimereux: a charming seaside resort, with Anglo-Norman timber-frame villas and a fine promenade along the sea wall
Boulogne-sur-Mer - la ville haute (the historic upper town):
- The cathedral and its crypt (the largest in France), the ramparts, the belfry, the château with its museum…
- Nausicaà: allow yourself a day off cycling to plunge into the heart of the world’s oceans at Nausicaà, the largest aquarium in Europe
Relaxation / activities:
- Stop at the Brasserie Artisanale des 2 Caps at Tardinghen. Guided tours, with tastings, are organized here.
- You may appreciate the chance to sample the craft cheeses made at La Ferme du Vert at Wierre-Effroy, on sale in local cheese shops
- Re seafood, as well as considering the wide selection of fish restaurants available, admire the fish stalls on Boulogne’s main quay.